Friday, January 7, 2011

Armchair Applications

Job hunting. Those two words can be daunting, exciting, foreboding, uninspiring. At least, until today.

I've currently been unemployed now from my hairstyling career since September because of health reasons. Almost 5 months. Up until now, I haven't noticed how long it's been, simply because there's been so much going on -  what with planning our wedding, moving into our new apartment, Christmas and New Years. But now that J is back to work and our apartment is organized (no more eating or sitting on cardboard boxes), I'm starting to get a major dose of cabin fever.

I woke up this morning, full of vigor and purpose. I had my resume written up. I just needed to print off ten or so copies, and I was going to bundle up, and tromp downtown to see which businesses I would be interested in working for, or should I say, would be interested in hiring. However, my resolve quickly dissipated when my printer had technical issues, and my resumes failed to be produced.

Call me "old-school," "old-fashioned," or "out of date," but I'm the type of person, I like to go into the business, introduce myself, shake my potential employer's hand, and give them my hard copy resume. I'm not much for emailing my resume off into the great unknown of cyberspace. But, today I had determined that I would send out my resumes. That left no other option but for me to tackle the endless Kijiji, Monster, KW Jobshop and more...ads.

So, instead of bundling up in hat and mitts, coat and scarf, I bundled up beneath a big, cozy afghan and snuggled up with my laptop to start the search...And you know, despite the fact that I didn't get to introduce myself and shake hands with possible bosses, I was pleasantly surprised.  From the comfort of my couch, I was able to fill out job applications, submit reasons why I am perfect for the job, and come up with 3 things I struggle with in the work environment...all without being asked on the spot and left gapping like a fish out of water! Plus, I could do it with a big mug of tea in my hand, my hair up in a messy pony tail, my sweat pants on, and jazz fm streaming through my computer speakers... without even feeling remotely guilty!

Was my day productive? I'd like to think so. I found some promising ads that piqued my interest. And consequently, my resume got filed off, without me having to trudge through the snowy streets of downtown Kitchener. Don't get me wrong - I still hold fast to the great merit there is in face-to-face job application. But who's to argue when an ad says: "Accepting email resumes only." Or "Do not call to follow up on your resume. Only those emailed will be considered for an interview." I know I'm not going to argue. Not when I've got a hot cup of tea and  Louis Armstrong to keep me company.

No comments:

Post a Comment