Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cherry Blossoms and Conflict Resolution

I had my first ever group interview today at Warm Embrace Elder Care. www.warmembrace.ca  The position that I am being interviewed for is a companion aide (where I go into the elderly client's home and enable them to still live independently by helping them with groceries, taking them to doctor's appointments, making their meals, cleaning their home, and over-all keeping them company etc).

I've heard the horror stories about group interviews - the on-the-spot thinking in front of a large group of strangers, the "team-building" interactive scenarios etc... I am here to calm the nerves of everyone out there who may be full of fear and trepidation about such an upcoming interview.

I will admit that I was somewhat nervous this morning about going for an interview. It's been a few years since I've really had a proper interview, and there's a huge difference between being interviewed for a hairstyling position and being interviewed for a caregiver position. I remember my interview for my salon job - I was dressed to the nines. I had gone tanning a couple of weeks previously, so that my make-up looked perfect. I had funky pink and purple chunks highlighted through my hair and my accessories were top drawer. In essence, half of my resume was presented in the way my make-up, my hair and my clothing were portrayed. Imagine my relief when most of the women who were being interviewed with me today had their hair tied back in pony-tails, weren't wearing any make-up, and accessories were at a minimum. (Although, I may have taken it a little too casual in wearing jeans. I did notice that I was the only one wearing them, despite the fact that they were dark wash and obviously dressy!) Perhaps it was because I was in a room of caregiver "types" that made the group interview a little less intimidating. Or perhaps it was because most of the women with whom I was being interviewed were older, with motherly characteristics. Either way, the fears of a group interview were quickly dissipated once I walked in the door.

We did play an interactive game, forcing us to get up and get to know each other, called Caregiver Bingo. I learnt that Shelley does not have Facebook; Pat likes murder mysteries; Lily has the same shoe size as me; Phyllis keeps a journal; and Raven enjoys gardening. Needless to say, I won the game and proudly took home a Cherry Blossom bubble bath set as a prize! That was definitely the first interview I've walked away from where I left with more than I came in with!

There was no way to avoid the on-the-spot questions, however. I was one of the last ones to be quizzed, so it gave me time to think of how I would answer each other candidate's question. The woman named Raven got asked, "When have you been in a situation where there was a dispute that you had to settle?" Raven was a very gentle woman - she looked sort of like a washed-up, old hippie. She was silent for a long while, and then said in a dreamy kind of voice, "I'm grateful to be living a life that is void of disputes." She then continued to sit in comfortable silence before she rendered up an example from her dispute-free life about how she conducted a survey for student rights.  I recall thinking, "Wow! Am I ever glad that I didn't get asked that question!" I definitely do not have a portfolio full of dispute settlements. I tend to rather be the one who stirs the pot, fueling the fire for controversy, than the peace-maker. The questions continued to flow around the circle, each one easy enough to answer.  Wouldn't you know it, by the time my turn came around, all the other questions must have been used up because I got asked the same question as Raven. Ironic is what I call it.

I definitely didn't sit in dreamy silence. I looked up at the ceiling. Tapped my foot. Said "ummmmm." And then "oh wow...." And to be honest, I can't quite recall what I said about my experience in solving disputes, but it must have been satisfactory enough because my answer was greeted with nods of approval and encouraging "hmmms" from all the other matronly-like applicants.

The rest of the interview consisted of scenario solving questions, which I was able to answer confidently and precisely. I left the interview feeling pretty satisfied and hopeful. The next stage of interviews will be taking place on Friday and Monday, so I should know by tomorrow whether or not I made the cut.

I can say that it was an overall positive experience despite the fact that I wore jeans and was stumped on my question of conflict resolution. And if I don't get the job? Either way, it's ok. My qualms have diminished surrounding all group interview myths, PLUS I've got a tub full of soapy cherry blossom bubbles to soak in!

No comments:

Post a Comment