Thursday, February 10, 2011

Can Opener Catastrophes...(aka Pasta with Hot Sausage Sauce)

Supper for J and I did not happen until approximately 8:30 last night. It was all the fault of the can opener.

I've been needing a new can opener for quite a while now, but somehow, it never reached the list of things to buy. Until yesterday, I had my old one for over 2 years and it had definitely seen better days. The teeth were all rusted, the wheels would hardly turn, the handle got stuck, I would have to hold it at weird angles to actually get it to grip the can, the list goes on and on...

Four o'clock rolled around yesterday afternoon, and like I usually do around that time, I started to make supper. I've found that if I start preparations for supper around 4, by the time J comes home from work, the table is set, and something steaming sumptuously comes from the oven.

The particular recipe I was making last night called for whole peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce...all from a can. And so began the wrestle with the lousy can opener. 20 minutes later, the first can was mangled, twisted, distorted - crushed tomatoes seeping out of the gashes that the can opener managed to shred through. Every time I managed to turn the handle on the can opener, the can received such a jolt that tomato juice spewed from any opening possible, splattering against my clean white cupboards. Finally, I gave up. I was frustrated. My wrists felt sprained. My kitchen was dirty. And there was no way that supper would be ready by the time J came home.

Instead, I called J and vented my frustrations about the "stupid" can opener, the dirty kitchen, and the food that was inevitably never going to reach the table, much less our bellies! He promised to bring home a new can opener. (Which he did - might I add that it is the "Cadillac" of all can openers! Bright red, Kitchenaide, the best one in the whole store!)

It wasn't until close to 7 that J came home, can opener in hand...as well as a box of early Valentines Day chocolates (might I add that he is the "Cadillac" of all husbands out there?!). After unsealing the remaining cans and a not so ceremonious disposal of the old can opener, supper was ready...a mere hour and a half later. Despite everything, the meal was absolutely delicious!

So, here's to great food...and even greater can openers!

Pasta with Hot Sausage Sauce


1 pound hot Italian sausage
2/3 cup red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced capers
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed, liquid reserved
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
1 (16 ounce) package dry ziti pasta (I used penne)
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese


  • In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown.
  • Mix the red onion, garlic, and capers into the skillet, and cook until onion is tender. Mix in the mashed whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red wine. Season with basil, parsley, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
  • Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the ziti (or whatever kind of pasta you choose!) in the pot, cook 10 minutes, until al dente and drain.
  • Serve the sauce mixture over the cooked pasta. Top with Romano cheese.

1 comment: